One of Malaysia’s major service providers has deployed a roaming solution to reduce bill shock. Maxis has integrated Roamware’s Roaming Service Controller (RSC) to help subscribers track and manage their data roaming usage in real-time.
Raja Hussain, Regional Vice President, South East Asia & Oceania, Roamware, said: “Bill Shocks while roaming are hurting subscriber confidence in operators and posing major customer satisfaction and loyalty challenges. According to a recent ZDNet Online Survey, 68% of APAC mobile subscribers use data services while roaming and around 87% of these subscribers have experienced bill shocks.”
“This can also be seen in other parts of world, with the US Federal Communications Commission indicating that that 1 in 6 mobile subscribers in the US suffers from bill shock and the EU regulating that mobile operators need to provide their subscribers a monthly cut-off limit and must send a warning to subscribers once they reach certain portions of their limit”, he added.
The firm’s Roaming Service Controller allows operators to offer subscribers simplified rate plans with useful self-service features in order to prevent bill shocks. With Roamware RSC, subscribers can:
- Set a maximum limit for their data roaming costs
- Choose to receive automatic alerts when roaming spends reach defined amounts
- Set up automatic barring of data roaming when the pre-defined limit is reached
- Easily bar or un-bar data roaming services on the fly by sending a simple SMS
- Track roaming data usage and costs in real-time to see how much has been spent
- Get accurate information from operators on roaming tariffs and rates
- Subscribe to promotional offers and alliance based rate plans
“Bill shock is a common problem with mobile roaming subscribers globally, and one that seriously impacts trust and ultimately the subscriber’s relationship with their service providers. As a thought leader in the roaming space, Roamware is committed to working with leading operators like Maxis and other operators in APAC and around the world to offer innovative solutions that will enable them to proactively address such issues and build a stronger relationship of trust with their subscribers”, said Dr. John Jiang, Co-founder, CTO & EVP Product Management, Roamware.