HMN Tech, a provider of turnkey submarine network solutions, has announced that it has completed the marine deployment of the Senegal Horn of Africa Regional Express (SHARE) submarine cable system, with landfalls in both Senegal and Cape Verde.
Financed by the Senegalese state and operated by the Agence De l’Informatique de l’Etat (ADIE), the 720km system offers a total design capacity of 16Tbps between Dakar in Senegal and Praia in Cape Verde. It is expected to be ready for service this quarter.
The SHARE cable will supplement onward connectivity to Europe and South America via other international submarine cables that land in Cape Verde. Future connectivity to other nations in the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) will also be possible by the incorporation of a branching unit into the SHARE cable system.
Hopes are high for the SHARE cable. Mr Cheikh Baknoum, CEO of ADIE, says that Senegal aims to become an internet hub in West Africa by operating a low-latency, high-quality and large-capacity optical submarine cable. The cable is, he adds, ready to provide network operators and ISPs sufficient internet bandwidth to benefit both local residents and businesses and to boost the development of the digital economy.
HMN Tech was established in 2008. The name is a rebrand of Huawei Marine Networks that took place in 2020 when Hengtong group completed the 81 percent shareholding acquisition of Huawei Marine Networks Co Ltd. New Saxon 2019 Ltd (UK) holds the remaining 19 percent of shares.