Cameroon was for many years one of the few countries in Africa with only two competing mobile operators. After some delays, Viettel Cameroon launched a third network and has since grown its subscriber base rapidly.
Camtel became the fourth mobile operator in early 2020 after securing three licences, however it suspended the launch of services in early 2021. Despite this, by the end of the year a launch under the Blue brand was imminent.
The investment programs among operators over the next few years will considerably boost mobile broadband services in rural areas of the country, many of which are underserved by fixed-line infrastructure.
The ICT sector in Cameroon is making steady progress, enabling the country to make better use of the digital economy. About 95% of all electronic transactions are carried through the m-money services operated by MTN Cameroon and Orange Cameroon. The government has also been supportive, having launched its ‘Cameroon Digital 2020’ program, aimed at improving connectivity nationally. A large number of small ICT projects form part of the overall program. Improved submarine and terrestrial cable connectivity has substantially increased international bandwidth, in turn leading to reductions in access prices for consumers.
Other projects such as Acceleration of the Digital Transformation of Cameroon are aimed at developing the digital economy, and accelerating the use of ICT in areas such as government services, agriculture, and commerce.
- New fibre link to Gabon is completed;
- MTN Cameroon applies for 5G trial licence;
- Camtel signs national roaming deal with MTN Cameroon;
- Cameroon accounting for 73% of the 1.1 billion e-payment transactions among CEMAC member countries;
- Cameroon ends roaming charges with CEMAC countries;
- Camtel becomes the fourth MNO after securing a mobile concession, but delays service launch;
- Orange Cameroon expands LTE-A services;
- Report update includes regulator's market report for 2019, telcos' operating data to Q3 2021, updated Telecom Maturity Index tables, charts and analyses, assessment of the global impact of the pandemic on the telecoms sector, recent market developments.
Get a Full Copy of this Report
Developing Telecoms market report summaries are produced in partnership with BuddeComm, the world’s largest continually updated online telecommunications research service.
The above article is a summary of the following BuddeComm report:
Report title: Cameroon - Telecoms, Mobile and Broadband - Statistics and Analyses
Edition: January 2022
Analyst: Henry Lancaster
Number of pages: 158
Companies mentioned in this report: MTN Cameroon, Orange Cameroon, Camtel, Cameroon Mobile Telecommunications (CMT), Pastel, CamNet, MTN Network Solutions, Matrix Telecoms, Ringo, Nexttel Cameroon (Viettel), YooMee
Single User PDF Licence Price: US$890
For more information or to purchase a copy of the full report please use the following link: https://www.budde.com.au/Research/Cameroon-Telecoms-Mobile-and-Broadband-Statistics-and-Analyses/?r=83/?r=83